ropeways.net | Home | Ropeways | 2023-07-31
Whistler Blackcomb: New Fitsimmons Express
July 1, 2023 marked the halfway point for our ongoing summer lift construction project. Whistler Blackcomb is upgrading Fitsimmons Express from a 4-pack to an 8-pack! Once completed, this new lift will significantly reduce wait times and increase uphill capacity in winter and summer, providing even greater access to our bike park with five riders per chair!
Teams are on schedule and making good progress with the project while keeping safety of workers and guests a top priority. Excavation work to make space for the larger lift structures is ongoing. As well, construction teams are on target to complete all concrete work within the week!
Here’s a few of the major accomplishments Whistler Blackcomb recently checked off the list:
- Construction teams are on target to complete all concrete work within the week.
- Pads for lift huts and genset (for power and backup electricity) are now complete.
- The top and bottom station enclosures are finished.
- Almost all tower footings have been excavated and formed with concrete poured (only towers 7 and 8 remain).
- Of the towers we have on hand, only 7 and 8 remain to be installed, which will be completed before Crankworx. Aside from this, we’re awaiting additional required new towers to arrive from Austria via Montreal. These will be installed when they arrive, just after Crankworx.
- Excavation work to make space for the larger lift structures is ongoing with 7,000 cubic meters of earth removed at the load station and 1,000 cubic meters at the drive station (with 1,500 cubic meters removed for the previous lift’s lower mast removal).